Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"i'ma get the birds!"

   Beans and I visited the Montessori school. It was ok.  I'm having second thoughts.  They had 3 classrooms I believe, but I toured two.  What I noticed that wasn't very Montessori was the age groups; 3 and 4 yr olds together then 4 and 5 yr olds.  In traditional Montessori they have a 3 - 6 mixed age group this way the younger learn from the older and the older learn to teach the younger and sometimes vice versa.  I like that concept, Beans being an only child (for now) and all that jazz. They had their Language arts, Math and Science areas.  But the children seemed too grouped together.  Usually in true Montessori the children are shown demonstrations in small groups and then left to venture on their own with the specific material.  But from what I saw it seemed kinda "traditional schoolish".  So from my observations of the short tour I took I would say it was half montessori half traditional..So perhaps we'll stay home those mornings. Anywho! That was Tuesday. Tuesday we made an awwwwsome forest in a box! We've been studying Earth this month but focused on different types of Tundras and climates so when Beans is faced with the decision of making a forest or desert in a box of course it's a forest for her Tiger and dinosaurs!

And today's grand project was putting together a bird house and painting it and trying to "GET THE BIRDS!"
I must go now....this child is nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment